They say home is where the heart is. Rightfully so, because that’s where you find comfort and shelter – all the more reason to make sure it is as safe and secure as you can. Here are some ideas to help minimise safety risks and improve your home security.
1. Don’t forget fire safety
It’s not every day where your house catches fire, so it is easier not to think to prepare for such an event. There are simple things you can do to make sure that you are prepared in case of a fire:
- Have a fire extinguisher on every level of your home.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Always turn off heaters when you leave the room.
- Close the lid on all flammable products and store them away safely.
2. Prevent electrical risks
- Replace all worn-out or damaged electrical cords.
- Follow the correct procedure when replacing light bulbs.
- Replace or repair any appliances that trip the main switch or shock you.
- Don’t overload outlets with too many plugs.
3. Make sure you have these home safety essentials:
- A home security system,
- A first aid kit,
- Emergency numbers clearly displayed close to where you keep your phones in case of emergencies.
4. Water and electricity do not mix
- Keep electrical appliances away from water at all times.
- Don’t use electrical appliances with wet hands or on wet surfaces.
- Avoid using electrical appliances in the bathroom.
You might also want to read this post on safety tips for when using gas at home